Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Library of Congress Subject Headings
GV1199-1570 Games and amusements
GV1201.5 Hobbies (General)
GV1203-1220.8 Children's games and amusements
GV1218.5-1220.8 Toys GV1221-1469.63 Indoor games and amusements
GV1232-1299 Card games: Poker, patience, whist, etc.
GV1301-1311 Gambling. Chance and banking games
GV1312-1469 Board games. Move games
Including chess, go, checkers, etc. GV1469.15-1469.62 Computer games. Video games. Fantasy games
v. gam·bled, gam·bling, gam·bles
a. To bet on an uncertain outcome, as of a contest.
b. To play a game of chance for stakes.
2. To take a risk in the hope of gaining an advantage or a benefit.
3. To engage in reckless or hazardous behavior: You are gambling with your health by continuing to smoke.
1. To put up as a stake in gambling; wager.
2. To expose to hazard; risk: gambled their lives in a dangerous rescue mission.
1. A bet, wager, or other gambling venture.
2. An act or undertaking of uncertain outcome; a risk: I took a gamble that stock prices would rise.
[Perhaps from obsolete gamel, to play games, from Middle English gamen, gamenen, to play, from Old English gamenian, from gamen, fun.]
Kendall & Wolfson Campus Libraries