We are currently accepting host organization sites for the Civic Leadership Fellows. If you are a non-profit or public organization addressing needs in the community and are interested in hosting a Civic Leadership Fellow from Miami Dade College, reach out to Lilyana Lopez (email@example.com). She will add you to a list of interested organizations that we will reach out to in the new academic year to further build the program.
Below is an overview of the program and why the CLF program is a win-win for an eager MDC student and your team!
What will a Civic Leadership Fellow do?
- Work between 10 to 25* hours a week at a community partner over the course of an academic year
- Assist organizations actively improving the community while learning the inner workings of a non-profit and the skills needed to effect positive change
- Serve as a liaison between the organization and MDC with the goal of expanding and strengthening the MDC-partner relationship
What will a Community Partner do?
- Offer a Civic Leader Fellow position(s) that is akin to an undergraduate intern, demonstrating different aspects of work within a non-profit organization
- Create a Civic Leader Fellow position description
- Screen and select a candidate that will be funded by MDC through Federal Work-study
- Complete Simple Paperwork with MDC including showing proof of Liability Insurance
- Provide orientation and ongoing supervision
- Provide appropriate meaningful and challenging tasks that also allow the Fellow to gain personal and professional skills
- Allow for ample learning and mentoring opportunities for Fellows as they perform work for the public good
- Address any performance concerns directly with your Fellow, and involve the MDC iCED department as needed
Why host a Civic Leadership Fellow?
- Allows an undergraduate student interested in helping the community the chance to do so
- Provides assistance to the organization at no cost** (other than your time supervising and mentoring)
- Strengthens ties with MDC, one of the largest community colleges in the nation
- Help develop future leaders and changemakers committed to the work your organization does
*Number of hours per week depends on student’s Federal Work-Study award amount
**Hourly wages are covered by MDC Federal Work-Study funding.