Skip to Main Content
- Earth Ethics Institute supports Prof. Sebastian Terneus in celebrating Earth Day -- with the Haiku Tree project in UrbanaSpace.
- Earth Ethics Institute supports the Student Government Association's mural project (in the Zen Garden).
- Regular garden volunteering (Tuesdays at 3pm) continues, with work other afternoons as needed.
- Regular Wellness Walks (Tuesdays at 4pm) continue, with an emphasis on litter pick-up.
- Freecycling on campus continues.
- Coffee ground composting and used battery recycling continues.
- Campus Learning Community exploration of UN SDG 13: Climate Action continues.
- Regular Wellness Walks (Tuesdays at 4pm) have resulted in over 350lbs of trash picked up on campus so far in 2022.
- Freecycling on campus has resulted in approximately 60lbs of unwanted office supplies, small household items, and media (CDs and DVDs) being freecycled so far in 2022.
- Campus Learning Community (UN SDG 13) events included student presentations in different Global Sustainability and Earth Literacy Studies (GSELS) classes.
- Regular Wellness Walks (Tuesdays at 4pm) have resulted in over 325lbs of trash picked up on campus so far in 2022.
- Freecycling on campus has resulted in approximately 40lbs of unwanted office supplies, small household items, and media (CDs and DVDs) being freecycled so far in 2022.
- To help raise awareness of the Campus Learning Community theme (UN SDG 13), a "Climate Action Fair" was hosted -- with a solar powered DJ set-up and Clubs and community partners at tables.
- Regular Wellness Walks (Tuesdays at 4pm) have resulted in over 300lbs of trash picked up on campus so far in 2022.
- Freecycling on campus has resulted in approximately 20lbs of unwanted office supplies, small household items, and media (CDs and DVDs) being freecycled so far in 2022.
- Additional mulching to help further formalize the MLK Butterfly Garden; numerous Atalia butterflies have been spotted in this new green space but also in the Zen Garden
- Continuation of weekly outdoor Wellness Walks (Tuesdays at 4pm), starting from Urbana Space; 16 garbage cans full of litter around campus have been picked so far (and removed from waterways) as part of these walks.
- Expansion of the Plants on Campus initiative, in partnership with Learning Resources
- Continuation of weekly outdoor Wellness Walks (Tuesdays at 4pm), starting from Urbana Space
- Additional indoor plants introduced to campus (and celebrated) via the Plants on Campus initiative; this work was supported by Learning Resources and their plant propagation efforts
- New furniture (additional table seating) added to the Zen Garden, as championed by Student Life
- Launch of weekly outdoor Wellness Walks (Tuesdays at 4pm), starting from Urbana Space
- Plants on Campus initiative launched
- The campus celebrates Earth Week with a Haiku Tree, discussion about Miami's Climate Future and a Cosmic Walk
- Harvests of collard greens, peppers and tomatoes are shared with students -- via weekly Wellness Wednesdays on campus
- Students help to maintain and enhance the new MLK Butterfly Garden (inside the employee parking lot)
- Over 70 prospective students and their parents as well as other guests tour the campus as part of Spring Open House
- Wellness Wednesday introduces the campus to our resident peregrine falcon
- Harvests of collard greens and also a bounty of unwanted office supplies are shared with students -- also via weekly Wellness Wednesdays on campus
- Introduction of catfish into the outside demonstration aquaponics system
- Garden Harvest Day with students (Thursday, January 11)
- Establishment of MLK Butterfly Garden
- Veggie gardening, composting and maintaining the demonstration aquaponics program
- Volunteer gardening and clean-up efforts (weather-permitting) on Thursdays at 4:15pm; efforts to unlock Zen Garden throughout the week
- Prof. Jaeson Clayborn advances work with aquaponics demonstration on campus
- Participation in "Planting Kindness Day" (part of #bekind21).
- Documenting and adding campus bike parking to Google Maps
- Promotion of Student Food Pantry and research into best-by / use-by / sell-by dates
- Currently, Padrón Campus has a recycling dumpster dedicated to cardboard/paper in the main garage parking lot that custodial and facilities teams use.
- MDC has just completed a bathroom project with all the campuses -- going touch-free and with an emphasis on sustainability with the products included in all the bathroom dispenser systems
- Efforts to encourage turning off devices on campus that are not in use
- Documenting and adding campus bike parking to Google Maps.
- Development of marine aquaponics demonstration systems (led by Prof. Jaeson Clayborn).
- Addition of a demonstration composting box to David McGuirk Memorial Zen Garden; student volunteer clean-up of the garden.
- Documenting and adding David McGuirk Memorial Zen Garden and Urbanaspace Pine Rocklands Habitat to Google Maps.
- Start of regular Sustainability News email messages to faculty; efforts to draw attention to Little Havana's and surrounding neighorhood's mango crop and season.
- Padrón Campus Sustainability LibGuide launched.
- Tidy-up of David McGuirk Memorial Zen Garden prior to campus Open House; adding a screening net to the current rain barrel.